Meet Our Team
Mark Salemi, D.V.M.
Dr. Mark Salemi earned his D.V.M from Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine after earning his degree in biology from St. John’s University in Queens, New York. At Ross, his training included large animal medicine and surgery at England’s University of Liverpool School of Veterinary Medicine and small animal medicine and surgery at Ontario Canada’s University of Guelph Veterinary School. He additionally held a preceptorship with the New York State Conservation Society at the Bronx Zoo prior to his graduation with a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine in January 1987. His family consists of his wife Ann, 2 children Mason and Nicholas.
He is a member of the New York State and New York City Veterinary Medical Associations, Association of Avian Veterinarians and the American Veterinary Medical Association.
Dr. Salemi is owner and partner of Northside Animal Hospital, specializing in wild, zoo, and exotic animals, and served as one of the staff veterinarians at the Staten Island Zoo for over 10 years. Northside also maintains a close working relationship with the New York City Parks Department, caring for injured wildlife and the New York City Board of Health.
Dr. Salemi was heralded for his volunteer work with rescue dogs after September 11th at Ground Zero and is now a member of the Board of the New York City Veterinary Disaster Preparedness Committee as well as a founding board member of the NYC Veterinary Emergency Response Team (NYC VERT).
In 2002, after four years as an Executive Board member and officer, Dr. Salemi was elected President of the New York City Veterinary Medical Association. He has received many awards from the association including:
- 2004 New York State Veterinary Medical Association President’s Citation
- 2004 NYC Veterinary Medical Association’s Veterinarian of the Year for 2003
- April 2011 “NYC VMA Merit Award”
- April 2012 “Outstanding Service to Veterinary Medicine”
- March 2013 “Service to the Veterinary Community and the Welfare to Animals”
Dr. Salemi is very active in his home community as past President/Vice President of his town’s Board of Education (a publicly elected official), both Health and Office of Emergency Management, a CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) member, and Boy Scout leader. In 2008 he was named president of Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine’s Alumni Association and continues as an active member of the Alumni Council.
Dr. Salemi’s goals include promoting Ross as a primary university to achieve the dream of becoming a veterinarian, facilitate communication between prospective as well as current students and alumni as well as keeping alumni actively involved in that support. He strives to be active in both his professional and private communities while continuing to promote veterinary medicine as a career and facilitating the roles of practitioners in organized veterinary medicine.
- Graduate of Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine in January 1987.
- Undergraduate studies at St. John’s University, Queens, New York.
- Bachelor Degree in Biology
- University of Liverpool School of Veterinary Medicine, England, Large Animal Medicine and Surgery. 1986
- University of Guelph Veterinary School, Guelph, Ontario, Small Animal Medicine and Surgery. 1986
- Preceptorship New York State Conservation Society at the Bronx Zoo 1986.